Brazil is home to some of the most renowned universities in Latin America, and international students can take advantage of several fully funded scholarship opportunities. With its vibrant culture, beautiful landscapes, and top-ranked universities, Brazil is an ideal destination for students seeking quality education.
These scholarships cover tuition fees, accommodation, travel expenses, and even living expenses, allowing students to fully immerse themselves in their studies without any financial burden. In this blog post, we will explore the different fully funded scholarship opportunities available in Brazil and how you can apply for them. So, get ready to take your academic journey to Brazil with these amazing scholarships!
Science Without Borders (Ciência sem Fronteiras)
The Science Without Borders initiative, known in Brazil as “Ciência sem Fronteiras,” is an impressive national scholarship program powered by the Brazilian government. Primarily focused on advancing Brazilian students in the realms of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM), this program facilitates a global exchange of knowledge and expertise. However, it’s not exclusively for Brazilians. A select number of scholarships are specifically reserved for international students wishing to immerse themselves in Brazil’s world-class STEM education.
Who Is Eligible for the Program?
The program offered scholarships for undergraduate, master’s, doctoral, and post-doctoral students in STEM fields (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics). These scholarships covered short or long-term courses, research internships, and “sandwich” doctorates (where part of the doctoral research is conducted abroad).
Remember, this isn’t merely an opportunity to expand your academic horizons. It’s also a chance to experience Brazil’s rich culture, learn a new language, and forge lifelong connections. So, why not take the plunge and dive into the exciting and fulfilling world of Science Without Borders? The possibilities are endless, and the impact could be extraordinary.
Brought to you by the combined efforts of the Organization of American States (OAS) and the Coimbra Group of Brazilian Universities (GCUB), in conjunction with the Brazilian Ministry of Education and the Pan American Health Organization, comes the remarkable opportunity of OAS-GCUB scholarships.
- Full tuition waiver: All program costs are covered by the scholarship.
- Partial monthly stipend: This amount varies but is designed to help with living expenses (covering basic needs, not all costs).
- One-time OAS grant: USD 1,200 towards arrival and settling in expenses for the top 150 ranked candidates.
- Free Portuguese language support: Access to language learning resources to help you adapt to studying in Brazil.
- Duration: Up to 24 months for Master’s programs and 48 months for Doctoral programs.
- Be a citizen of an OAS member country (excluding Brazil).
- Have completed a Bachelor’s degree with a strong academic record.
- Meet the specific requirements of the chosen program(s).
- Demonstrate proficiency in Portuguese or be committed to learning it (the language of instruction for most programs).
- Gain high-quality education at renowned Brazilian universities.
- Immerse yourself in a vibrant and diverse culture.
- Build professional networks and career opportunities in Brazil and beyond.
- Contribute to strengthening ties and cooperation between your country and Brazil.
But these scholarships are not just about academics. They are about making the journey to your doctoral or post-doctoral degree as smooth as possible. These fully-funded scholarships take care of your tuition in full, relieving you from the financial burden that advanced degrees often entail.
PEC-G Scholarship Programme
Designed to fortify educational, cultural, and scientific ties between Brazil and these nations, the PEC-G program offers not just a chance to study, but also a platform for international cooperation and development.
Key benefits of the PEC-G Scholarship Programme:
- Tuition fees covered: No financial burden of tuition fees at participating Brazilian universities.
- Monthly stipend: Receive a monthly allowance to cover living expenses in Brazil.
- Cultural immersion: Experience the vibrant culture and diversity of Brazil firsthand.
- Academic excellence: Access world-class education at renowned Brazilian universities.
- Professional development: Gain valuable skills and knowledge for your future career.
- Be a citizen of a developing country with which Brazil has an educational cooperation agreement. (Check the official list of participating countries.)
- Have completed secondary education with a strong academic record.
- Meet the Portuguese language proficiency requirement (varies depending on the university).
- Demonstrate financial need (proof of limited financial resources).
- Commit to returning to your home country after graduation to contribute to its development.
The PEC-G program doesn’t stop at just providing access to top-notch education. It’s fully-funded, meaning it carries the financial weight for you, so you can focus on reaching for the stars. The package includes a monthly allowance, enabling you to manage your living costs in Brazil. And, we know that moving to a new country can sometimes feel overwhelming. That’s why the PEC-G program offers travel aid and accommodation, making your transition to life in Brazil as smooth as possible. It’s more than a scholarship; it’s a comprehensive support system.
Federal University of Rio de Janeiro (UFRJ) Scholarships
Situated in the heart of one of Brazil’s most vibrant cities, the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro (UFRJ) stands as a symbol of academic excellence and cultural diversity. As a top-ranking university not only in Brazil but also across Latin America, UFRJ is a dream destination for many aspiring scholars. Fortunately, through a variety of scholarship programs, this dream can become an attainable reality for both domestic and international students.
Eligibility for UFRJ Undergraduate Scholarships:
- Citizenship: You must be a citizen of a developing country with which Brazil has an educational cooperation agreement. You can find the updated list of eligible countries on the UFRJ website or through your local Brazilian embassy/consulate.
- Academics: Demonstrate a strong academic record in your previous studies, typically with excellent grades in high school.
- Language Proficiency: Show proficiency in Portuguese, the language of instruction at UFRJ. This can be through recognized language tests like CELPE-Bras or your previous studies.
- Financial Need: Prove financial need, demonstrating limited financial resources to cover tuition and living expenses in Brazil.
- Commitment to Return: You must commit to returning to your home country after graduation to contribute to its development. This is a key requirement for most UFRJ scholarships.
How to Apply for UFRJ Undergraduate Scholarships:
- Check Deadlines: The application timeline for UFRJ scholarships can vary depending on the specific program and your country. Research the deadlines well in advance and ensure you submit your application before the closing date.
- Choose your Program: Explore the list of offered undergraduate programs at UFRJ and select the one that aligns with your academic interests and desired career path.
- Prepare Documents: Gather all required documents, including academic transcripts, proof of language proficiency, proof of financial need, a letter of motivation explaining your academic goals and reasons for applying, and letters of recommendation from teachers or academic advisors.
- Apply through your Brazilian Embassy/Consulate: Submit your complete application package through the Brazilian embassy or consulate in your home country. They will then forward it to UFRJ for review.
- Selection Process: The selection process for UFRJ scholarships is competitive. It typically involves reviewing your application documents, academic record, and language proficiency. Some programs may also involve interviews or additional tests.
All of this can be your reality with the CAPES-PrInt program at the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro. It’s a journey of discovery, not just of knowledge, but also of a new culture and a new way of life. So, why wait? The vibrant world of UFRJ beckons you to come and explore.
Is there a scholarship for masters and Doctoral Through Brazil 2024?
Yes! Several scholarship programs offer funding for master’s and doctoral studies in Brazil in 2024. Here are some notable options:
- GCUB-Mob Scholarship Programme: Offers over 1,100 scholarships for master’s and doctoral degrees at 54 Brazilian universities. Applications for the 2024 intake closed in July 2024, but keep an eye out for future cycles.
- CAPES Scholarships: The Coordination for the Improvement of Higher Education Personnel offers postgraduate and undergraduate scholarships in various science areas, including master’s and doctoral programs.
- PEC-G Scholarship Programme: Provides funding for undergraduate and master’s degrees for students from developing countries with which Brazil has an educational cooperation agreement.
How do you get a 100% scholarship?
Several scholarship programs in Brazil offer full funding, covering tuition fees, living expenses, and a monthly stipend. Here are some factors that can increase your chances:
- Strong academic record: Excellent grades and research potential are highly valued.
- Financial need: Demonstrating limited financial resources can be advantageous.
- Research proposal (for doctoral programs): A well-crafted proposal aligned with the program’s focus is crucial.
- Commitment to return: Some scholarships require recipients to return to their home country after graduation.
Which country is easiest to get a full scholarship?
No single country is “easiest,” as scholarship availability and selection criteria vary greatly. Consider:
- Educational cooperation agreements: Countries with such agreements with Brazil may offer more opportunities.
- Specific skill demands: Countries with high demand for certain skills might offer targeted scholarships.
Which university is free in Brazil for international students?
While Brazilian universities generally charge tuition fees, some offer free or reduced tuition for international students through specific programs or agreements:
- Federal Universities: Tuition-free for Brazilian citizens, some offer free or reduced tuition for international students through exchange programs or bilateral agreements.
- State Universities: Some may offer scholarships or waive tuition fees for international students based on academic merit or specific criteria.
- Private Universities: While most charge tuition fees for all students, some offer scholarships or financial aid programs for international students.
How much is the student visa fee in Brazil?
The student visa fee in Brazil varies depending on nationality and visa type. As of October 2024, the standard fee is R$169.45 (approximately USD 32). Additional fees may apply depending on the circumstances.
These scholarships are not just about financial support; they offer an enriching academic environment, immersion in a diverse culture, and a chance to broaden your global perspective. They open doors to groundbreaking research, innovative learning, and valuable international connections.
In conclusion, a fully-funded scholarship in Brazil can be the stepping stone to your dream career, a chance to grow as an individual, and an opportunity to make a global impact. The path to your future could very well begin in Brazil. Don’t let financial constraints limit your academic aspirations. Take a leap of faith, apply for these scholarships, and who knows? You might just find yourself embarking on an unforgettable educational adventure in Brazil. The world is your oyster, and Brazil might just be the pearl you’ve been searching for!