North Korea, a country that has been mostly shrouded in mystery, offers a unique opportunity for students worldwide. Some fully funded scholarships are available, allowing international students to experience firsthand the culture, history, and education system of North Korea. If you’re a student willing to dive into an unusual but enriching academic journey, these scholarships offer an opportunity of a lifetime.
Kim Il-sung University Exchange Program
Kim Il-sung University, nestled in the heart of Pyongyang, stands as the first university ever founded in North Korea and has a prestigious reputation. The university offers a fully funded exchange program that attracts students from around the globe who possess an interest in Korean studies, international relations, and language studies.
- Students must be enrolled in a degree program at a recognized university.
- Students must have a good academic record.
- Students must be proficient in Korean language (for some programs).
- Students must submit an application form, transcripts, a letter of recommendation, and a statement of purpose.
- Applications are due on April 30th for the fall semester and October 31st for the spring semester.
This unique opportunity is not just about academics; it’s a chance to experience an entirely different way of life in one of the most intriguing countries in the world.
Beijing Institute of Technology International Scholarship
For those who seek an academic journey that provides proximity to North Korea and immersion into a richly diverse culture, the Beijing Institute of Technology International Scholarship offers an unparalleled opportunity. This comprehensive scholarship program is designed to facilitate and support international students in their pursuit of undergraduate, master’s, or Ph.D. programs in China.
- Be a non-Chinese citizen.
- Have a bachelor’s degree or equivalent for Master’s programs, or a master’s degree for PhD programs.
- Meet the academic requirements of the program you are applying to.
- Be in good health.
- Academic excellence
- Research potential
- Language ability (English or Chinese)
- Awards and honors
- Letters of recommendation
- Apply to the Master’s or PhD program you are interested in at the Beijing Institute of Technology.
- Complete the Beijing Institute of Technology International Scholarship application form.
- Submit all required documents, including transcripts, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose.
While this scholarship does not directly place students in North Korea, its close geographical and political proximity offers an exceptional perspective on North Korean culture and politics. By enrolling in this program, students are strategically placed to grasp the nuances of North Korean relations while enjoying the diverse academic and cultural experiences China has to offer.
Read Also: Fully Funded Moldova Scholarships
Honjo International Scholarship Foundation
Headquartered in Japan, the Honjo International Scholarship Foundation provides a gateway for students worldwide who are keen to pursue their education in North Korea. It offers a broad range of fully-funded scholarships for various academic levels, including undergraduate, masters, and doctoral programs at universities throughout North Korea.
To be eligible for a HISF scholarship, you must meet the following criteria:
- Be a non-Japanese citizen (for scholarships for foreign students)
- Be a Japanese citizen (for scholarships for Japanese students studying abroad)
- Be enrolled in or planning to enroll in a full-time degree program at an accredited institution
- Have a strong academic record
- Demonstrate financial need
- Be committed to making a positive contribution to society
Scholarship recipients are selected based on the following criteria:
- Academic excellence
- Research potential
- Leadership potential
- Commitment to international understanding and cooperation
- Financial need
The application process for HISF scholarships varies depending on the specific program. However, the general steps involved are as follows:
- Review the eligibility criteria and application requirements for the scholarship program you are interested in.
- Complete the online application form.
- Submit all required supporting documents, such as transcripts, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose.
- Meet the application deadline.
Remember, this scholarship is more than just a financial aid program. It’s a launchpad to an educational adventure that will broaden your horizons, challenge your perceptions, and potentially transform your future career path. As such, students are encouraged to seize this unique opportunity and apply for the Honjo International Scholarship Foundation program.
Does North Korea offer scholarships?
While North Korea does not have any official scholarship programs for international students, there are a few opportunities for North Korean students to study abroad with the help of private organizations. The most notable of these is the Korea Foundation’s North Korean Scholarship Program, which provides full scholarships to North Korean students who wish to study in South Korea. Additionally, there are a few private universities in South Korea that offer partial scholarships to North Korean students, such as Seoul National University and Yonsei University. However, due to the political situation between the two countries, these opportunities are quite rare.
Can I get a fully funded scholarship in Korea?
Yes, you can potentially get fully funded scholarships to study in South Korea. The South Korean government offers several scholarship programs for international students, including the Global Korea Scholarship. Additionally, many South Korean universities provide scholarships for outstanding international students. These scholarships may cover tuition, accommodation, living expenses, and sometimes travel.
Can I go to university in North Korea?
The short answer is no, it is not possible for international students to study in North Korea. The country does not have any formal programs or institutions that accept international students, and the North Korean government does not grant student visas. In fact, travel to North Korea is extremely limited and tightly regulated. However, there are a few universities in other countries that offer courses on North Korea, which may be of interest to students who are interested in the country’s culture and history. These include the University of Toronto’s Centre for the Study of Korea and University of Oxford’s School of Oriental and African Studies.
How to get the Global Korea Scholarship?
The Global Korea Scholarship is a program offered by the South Korean government to attract talented international students. Here are general steps to apply for the scholarship:
- Research Eligibility: Review the eligibility criteria on the official website of the National Institute for International Education (NIIED) or the South Korean embassy in your country.
- Choose a Program: Select a degree program and university that is eligible for the Global Korea Scholarship.
- Prepare Documents: Gather necessary documents, including academic transcripts, recommendation letters, and a personal statement.
- Apply Online: Complete the online application through the designated platform.
- Submit Application: Submit the application and required documents to the Korean embassy in your home country or the designated institution.
- Interview (if required): Some programs may require an interview as part of the selection process.
- Wait for Results: Await the results of the scholarship selection process.
What GPA do you need for the Global Korea Scholarship?
The specific GPA requirement for the Global Korea Scholarship may vary depending on the program and level of study. It is essential to check the eligibility criteria for the specific scholarship program you are interested in. Typically, a higher GPA strengthens your application, demonstrating academic excellence and making you a competitive candidate for the scholarship.
Remember, these scholarships are not just about covering the financial costs of education. They are gateways to a distinctive academic journey that can challenge preconceived notions, broaden perspectives, and potentially shape your future career. Students with a genuine curiosity and passion for understanding this unique region’s history, culture, and politics are encouraged to seize these opportunities.
In conclusion, studying in North Korea or its neighboring countries, supported by these scholarships, can be a life-changing experience. It’s an opportunity to delve into a world lesser-known, fostering a deeper understanding of global issues, and promoting intercultural exchange. Be it directly through immersion in North Korea or indirectly through studying its relationship with neighboring nations, these scholarships open doors to a unique academic journey that not only enriches knowledge but also fosters personal and professional growth. Make the most of these opportunities and apply to embark on an unforgettable educational adventure.