Pursuing higher education can be a daunting prospect due to the financial constraints that often come with it. However, many institutions and organizations have recognized this hurdle and are offering fully-funded scholarships to students in need.
In this article, we will explore exceptional fully funded Zambia scholarships that offer opportunities for Zambians to pursue their academic dreams without financial burden.
The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program
The Scholars Program, a philanthropic initiative by the MasterCard Foundation, is dedicated to sponsoring African students, including those hailing from Zambia. Its fundamental objective is to cultivate the upcoming generation of transformative African leaders.
Who is eligible?
- Citizens of a Sub-Saharan African country.
- Demonstrate academic achievement and leadership potential.
- Have a strong commitment to giving back to your community.
- Meet financial need requirements.
What does the program offer?
- Full tuition fees covered: Focus on your studies without worrying about finances.
- Living expenses covered: Receive a stipend to cover accommodation, meals, and other essentials.
- Academic support: Benefit from mentoring, tutoring, and other resources to excel in your studies.
- Leadership development: Participate in workshops and training to hone your leadership skills and make a positive impact.
- Networking opportunities: Connect with fellow scholars, mentors, and professionals to build your network.
Where can you study?
The program partners with a network of prestigious universities across Africa, including:
- Ashesi University (Ghana)
- Stellenbosch University (South Africa)
- The American University in Cairo (Egypt)
- University of Cape Town (South Africa)
- University of Edinburgh (Scotland)
- University of Toronto (Canada)
How to apply:
Applications typically open once a year, and deadlines vary depending on the partner university. Check the program website or the university’s website for specific details.
Some of these partners include globally recognized institutions like Duke University, Michigan State University, and the University of California, Berkeley. This program is a beacon of hope for those who dream of a high-quality education but face financial challenges, thus paving the way for their future success and contribution to Africa’s growth.
Beit Trust Postgraduate Scholarships
The Beit Trust Postgraduate Scholarships are another excellent opportunity for Zambians seeking to further their studies abroad. Each year, between twelve to fifteen scholarships are provided to residents of Zambia, along with Malawi and Zimbabwe, allowing them to pursue postgraduate studies in either the United Kingdom or South Africa.
Who is eligible?
- Nationals of Zambia, Zimbabwe, or Malawi who are domiciled in their home country, or intend to return there after their studies.
- Under 35 years of age on December 31st of the application year.
- Possess a good first degree (minimum upper second class or equivalent).
- Have a confirmed offer of admission for a full-time Master’s degree program at a partner university in the UK or South Africa.
What are the benefits?
- Full tuition fees covered at your chosen university.
- Return air travel from your home country to the UK or South Africa.
- One-off establishment allowance upon arrival to help with settling in costs.
- Monthly living allowance to cover your living expenses.
- Introductory academic program to help you adjust to studying in a new environment.
- Overseas student health cover for the duration of your scholarship.
- Supplementary academic support if needed.
- Fieldwork allowance for research students and Master’s by coursework with a compulsory fieldwork component.
Through these scholarships, the Beit Trust enables talented individuals to acquire the advanced skills and knowledge necessary for them to make significant contributions to their home countries.
The Rhodes Scholarship
The Rhodes Scholarship, established in 1902 by Cecil Rhodes, is one of the world’s oldest and most illustrious international scholarships. It extends an exclusive opportunity for scholars to study at the acclaimed University of Oxford in England.
- Be aged 19-27 years old on the 1st of October in the year of application.
- Be a citizen of one of the countries that participate in the Rhodes Scholarship program (including Australia, Barbados, Bermuda, Canada, Germany, India, Jamaica, Kenya, New Zealand, Pakistan, South Africa, Tanzania, the United States, Zambia, and Zimbabwe).
- Have completed, or will have completed by the time they take up the scholarship, a bachelor’s degree with first-class or equivalent honors.
- Be able to provide evidence of their commitment to service and leadership qualities.
- Full tuition fees and living expenses covered at the University of Oxford.
- Travel allowance to and from the UK.
- Opportunity to participate in a comprehensive orientation program and other enrichment activities.
How to Apply:
The application process is competitive and varies depending on your country of citizenship. You can find more information about the application process on the website of the Rhodes Trust for your country.
So, if you are a Zambian scholar with a distinguished academic record and the attributes that Rhodes valued, this prestigious scholarship could be your gateway to the renowned halls of Oxford. There, you will not only receive a world-class education but also become part of a global network of Rhodes Scholars – a community of individuals driven to make meaningful changes in society.
The African Leadership University Scholarship
Dedicated to empowering young African leaders, the African Leadership University (ALU) is offering fully-funded scholarships to promising individuals from various African countries, including Zambia. This all-inclusive scholarship not only covers the cost of tuition but also includes provisions for accommodation, meals, and other necessary academic expenses.
- Be a citizen of an African country.
- Demonstrate academic achievement and potential.
- Possess strong leadership qualities and a commitment to making a positive impact on Africa.
- Meet the financial need requirements of the scholarship.
- Full tuition fees covered: Focus on your studies without worrying about the financial burden.
- Accommodation and living expenses covered: Receive support for housing, meals, and other essential costs.
- Leadership development program: Participate in workshops, mentorship, and other opportunities to hone your leadership skills.
- Entrepreneurship support: Gain access to resources and guidance to help you launch your own business or social venture.
- Global network: Connect with fellow scholars, alumni, and industry professionals from across Africa and the world.
Types of Scholarships:
- ALU Scholars Program: This full-ride scholarship is awarded to high-achieving students with exceptional academic records and demonstrated leadership potential.
- Need-Based Scholarships: These scholarships are awarded to students with strong academic ability who demonstrate financial need.
- Merit-Based Scholarships: These scholarships are awarded to students with outstanding academic achievements and a commitment to contributing to Africa’s development.
- Rwanda Mountain Gorilla Scholarship: This full-ride scholarship is awarded to Rwandan students with a passion for conservation and sustainable development.
How to Apply:
The application process for the ALU Scholarship is competitive and typically opens in November for the following academic year. To apply, you will need to submit the following documents:
- Completed application form
- Academic transcripts
- Letters of recommendation
- Personal statement
- Proof of English language proficiency
- Additional documents may be required depending on the type of scholarship you are applying for.
In summary, the African Leadership University Scholarship is more than just a financial aid program. It is a holistic educational experience that prepares scholars to be the driving force behind Africa’s transformation. For Zambians who are passionate about making a difference and eager to enhance their leadership skills, this scholarship provides the ideal platform to kickstart their journey towards meaningful change.
Which NGO offers scholarships in Zambia?
Several NGOs offer scholarships in Zambia, including:
- Aga Khan Foundation
- The Mastercard Foundation
- Inlaks Scholarship
- Zambian Scholarship Fund: [https://zambiascholarshipfund.org/]
- Kucetekela Foundation: [https://kucetekelafoundation.org/]
- DAAD Scholarships
- Mandela Rhodes Scholarships: [https://www.rhodeshouse.ox.ac.uk/] (although not specifically an NGO, it offers scholarships to Zambian students)
This list is not exhaustive, and it’s recommended to research further based on your specific needs and field of study.
- Does University of Zambia offer scholarships for international students?
Yes, the University of Zambia offers a few scholarship opportunities for international students, such as:
- SADC Scholarship Scheme
- EAC Scholarship Scheme
- Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Commission (CSFC) Scholarship
Contact the University of Zambia directly for the latest information and application procedures.
Does Zambia Open University offer scholarships?
There isn’t a dedicated scholarship program currently offered by Zambia Open University. However, they do offer fee waivers and discounts for specific categories like government employees, people with disabilities, and orphans. It’s best to consult their website or contact them directly for the latest information
Which schools are offering bursaries in Zambia?
Many schools in Zambia offer bursaries, but the availability and specifics vary depending on the institution and its funding sources. Some resources to explore include:
- Ministry of General Education bursaries
- Individual school websites: Most schools have a dedicated section on their website for scholarships and bursaries.
- NGOs and charitable organizations: Many NGOs and charities offer bursary programs for specific demographics or educational paths.
Do you pay back a bursary in Zambia?
No, bursaries in Zambia are typically non-repayable grants awarded based on need and merit. However, some bursaries might have specific conditions attached, such as maintaining good academic standing or working in a specific sector after graduation. Always carefully review the terms and conditions of any bursary before accepting it.
These fully funded Zambia scholarships not only alleviate financial burdens but also open a multitude of opportunities for deserving Zambian students. The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program, Beit Trust Postgraduate Scholarships, Rhodes Scholarship, Commonwealth Scholarships for Master’s and PhD study, and the African Leadership University Scholarship each offer their unique benefits, tailored to cultivate exceptional future leaders.
These scholarships extend far beyond just providing access to quality education; they offer enriching experiences, professional development opportunities, and foster networks of like-minded individuals committed to societal progress. These platforms serve to equip Zambian scholars with the necessary skills, knowledge, and experiences to become influential agents of change in their communities and the larger African continent. Therefore, if you are a Zambian student with a strong academic record and a vision for change, these scholarships can serve as valuable stepping stones in your journey to making a meaningful impact. It’s not just about pursuing higher education, it’s about leveraging these opportunities to contribute positively to the progress of Zambia and Africa at large